Black Breastfeeding Week 2014

BLACK BREASTFEEDING WEEK 2014

IT WILL BE HERE SHORTLY! (August 25-31)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

2 yrs later....

2 years later....
2 years later my youngest is almost 3 years old.
2 years later I'm still breastfeeding.

Obviously not as frequently as before but she will still nurse from time to time. Did I mention that she's almost 3? I'm sure that most people will give me the side-eye. She'll be preschool age next month. She'll be eligible to attend public school pre-school all day. Her formal induction to life as an assimilated child. No longer under the constant supervision of what's been her life. Me. Her home. Yes, she's been to daycare but it's so different from the dynamics of public school. With that comes the expectation that she/we abandon all things that identifies her as a baby/toddler. Breastfeeding being one of those things.
I find it so funny in the most annoying way when people complain about "not letting children remain  children" and "kids growing up so fast" yet these are the same people who will chastise a mother for continuing to feed her child in the most natural, healthiest way that she knows how. My belief is that despite these age markers put in place by society a 2 year old is still just a baby. A 3 year old is still just a baby.

I'm not here to rant, though. I'm only here to inform and support. And I just want those who have made it this far not to doubt their decision to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment